BEDFORD, Mass., Nov. 16, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Hologic, Inc. (Hologic or the Company) (Nasdaq: HOLX), a leading developer, manufacturer and supplier of premium diagnostics, medical imaging systems and surgical products dedicated to serving the healthcare needs of women, is participating in the 38th Annual American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL) conference, November 15-19, 2009 in Orlando, Florida, and will feature its Adiana® permanent contraception system.
Adiana is a minimally-invasive procedure that requires no incisions and can be performed in the comfort of the doctor's office using local anesthesia. The Adiana system is designed to provide women a minimally invasive alternative to traditional, surgical means of permanent contraception. With the Adiana system, patients are normally able to return to work or resume their daily activities within one day. In contrast, traditional methods of permanent contraception, such as tubal ligation, require more invasive surgical procedures, usually are conducted in a hospital under general anesthesia, and typically require four to five days of recovery.
"AAGL is the most influential meeting for physicians providing patient care through minimally invasive gynecology," said Tony Kingsley, senior vice president, GYN surgical products at Hologic. "As we have learned through numerous patient testimonials, women are undergoing the Adiana procedure to seek relief from the uncertainty and hassle of temporary birth control methods. At Hologic, we continue to bring to market tools that allow physicians to offer women in-office alternatives for their long-term contraception and other gynecological needs."
At AAGL, physicians will present open communication sessions and poster presentations on the Adiana system and the hysteroscopic sterilization method used during the Adiana procedure. Primary investigators will present new data from studies on the Adiana system.
Approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in July 2009, the Adiana procedure is indicated for women who desire permanent birth control by occlusion of the fallopian tubes.
Ideal candidates include women who do not want children in the future and would like the peace of mind and convenience of permanent birth control.
Sessions for information and key findings about Adiana at AAGL include:
- "Adiana System for Transcervical Sterilization: 3-Year Efficacy Results;" presented by T.L. Anderson, T.G. Vancaillie; Open Communications; 6 - Hysteroscopy (Wednesday, 11/18 at 11:48 pm)
- "Mechanism of Action of the Adiana Device: A Histologic Perspective;" presented by T.G. Vancaillie, D. Harrington, V. Carr-Brendel, J. Anderson; Open Communications; 14-Hysteroscopy (Wednesday, 11/18 at 3:44 pm)
- "Evaluating the Learning Curve for a Novel Hysteroscopic Sterilization Technique;" presented by M.Y. Bongers, S. Veersema; Open Communications; 16-Hysteroscopy (Thursday, 11/19 at 8:12 am)
- "Feasibility of Hysterosalpingography To Evaluate Tubal Occlusion Following Concomitant Adiana® Transcervical Sterilization and NovaSure® Endometrial Ablation;" presented by J. Garza-Leal, I. Hernandez, L. Castillo, R. Livengood, M. Stillman, J.E. Coad; Poster Presentation
- "Concominant Use of Adiana® Permanent Contraception and NovaSure® Impedance Controlled Endometrial Ablation: A Peri-Hysterectomy Study;" presented by J. Garza-Leal, I. Hernandez, L. Castillo, R. Livengood, M. Stillman, J.E. Coad; Open Communications; 14-Hysteroscopy (Wednesday, 11/18 at 3:26 pm)
About Hologic, Inc. Hologic, Inc. is a leading developer, manufacturer and supplier of premium diagnostics products, medical imaging systems and surgical products dedicated to serving the healthcare needs of women. Hologic's core business units are focused on breast health, diagnostics, GYN surgical, and skeletal health. Hologic provides a comprehensive suite of technologies with products for mammography and breast biopsy, radiation treatment for early-stage breast cancer, cervical cancer screening, treatment for menorrhagia, permanent contraception, osteoporosis assessment, preterm birth risk assessment, mini C-arm for extremity imaging and molecular diagnostic products including HPV and reagents for a variety of DNA and RNA analysis applications.
Forward-Looking Statement Disclaimer This News Release may contain forward-looking information that involves risks and uncertainties, including statements about the use of the Adiana permanent contraception system. There can be no assurance the system will achieve the benefits described herein and that such benefits will be replicated in any particular manner with respect to an individual patient as the actual effect of the use of the Adiana permanent contraception system can only be determined on a case-by-case basis depending on the particular circumstances and patient in question. Hologic expressly disclaims any obligation or undertaking to release publicly any updates or revisions to the data or statements presented herein to reflect any change in the Company's expectations or any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which any such data or statements are based. Certain factors that could adversely affect the Company's business and prospects are described in Hologic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Hologic, Adiana and NovaSure are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Hologic, Inc., and/or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries.
Product Manager, Adiana Product Marketing