Workplace Health and Safety
Hologic is committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for our employees, striving ultimately for zero incidents. Employee health and safety is fostered through cross-functional collaboration on operational initiatives to reduce waste, increase productivity and improve safety. This in turn reduces the risk and cost of lost workday incidents. Hologic’s global total recordable incident and global lost workday incident frequency decreased from fiscal 2015 to 2016.
Hologic is committed to health and safety both internally through policy and practice, and externally by protecting the environment by maintaining compliance in our communities.
Successes to Date
- Our Manchester UK facility had a 50% reduction in employee injuries and safety incidents due to an increase in proactive hazard reporting.
- Our Newark, DE location has implemented an automated parts cleaning process that has reduced potential exposure to arsenic and selenium.
- Our Danbury, CT, Londonderry, NH, and Costa Rica sites have all implemented internationally recognized safety and environmental management systems.
- In Costa Rica, the EH&S team leads monthly environmental, health and safety promotions to increase awareness at the site.
- We developed a global safety policy and are striving for 100% employee commitment.
We plan to establish a Hologic Executive Health and Safety Council to lead and enhance our health and safety programs and initiatives on a global scale. We intend to improve operational effectiveness within our organization by building consistency across sites in environmental, health and safety reporting for Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) and Lost Workday Incident Rate (LWIR). We will work to improve reporting on near misses and hazards to drive a year-over-year reduction in TRIR and LWIR. Finally, we plan to integrate a communication system to keep all employees engaged and updated on health and safety information and awareness throughout the year.