BEDFORD, Mass., Nov. 9, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Booth #410 -- Hologic, Inc. (Hologic or the Company) (Nasdaq: HOLX), a leading developer, manufacturer and supplier of premium diagnostics, medical imaging systems and surgical products dedicated to serving the healthcare needs of women, will showcase its Total Office Solution™ at the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL) 39th Annual Global Congress of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, November 8-12, 2010, at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. The Total Office Solution is a comprehensive suite of technologies including the Adiana® permanent contraception system; the NovaSure® endometrial ablation procedure for heavy menstrual bleeding; and the THS® tower-free hysteroscopy system, which enables OB/GYNs to perform non-invasive hysteroscopic procedures in the comfort of their offices.
Permanent contraception is just one example of a women's healthcare decision that is impacted by cost and the need for a hospital stay. According to a study published in the journal Obstetrics and Gynecology in October 2010, many pregnant women who request a tubal ligation do not have the procedure because they cannot afford it. One-third of the women in the study who requested tubal ligation never received the procedure and nearly 50 percent were pregnant one year later.
"Women need to know that many OB/GYNs offer options to traditional surgery that can be performed in-office, require minimal recovery time, and cost as little as one insurance co- payment," said Shacey Petrovic, Vice President of Marketing for Gynecologic Surgical Products at Hologic. In addition to the patient's cost benefits, doctors can avoid a trip to the operating room which saves time, reduces insurance expenses and enables them to treat more patients. We continue to see high demand for minimally-invasive office procedures, such as hysteroscopy, endometrial ablation, and permanent contraception due to the many benefits for both doctors and patients."
In these challenging economic times, the Hologic Total Office Solution is enabling patients to receive the care that they need while helping doctors strengthen their practices.
In addition to featuring the Total Office Solution, Hologic will be participating in the following sessions at AAGL:
- Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2010 - 11:11 AM (Plenary Session 2 - Hysteroscopy): "Retrospective Comparative Study between Impedance Radiofrequency Probe (NovaSure) and Microwave Endometrial Ablation for the Treatment of Heavy Menstrual Period"
- Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2010 - 3:26 PM (Open Communications 6 - Hysteroscopy): "Combined Bipolar Radiofrequency Endometrial Ablation with Levonorgestrel Intrauterine System: A Novel Approach for Challenging Cases"
- Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2010 - 4:08 PM (Open Communications 6 - Hysteroscopy): "Quality Hysterosalpingography Following Concomitant Adiana® Transcervical Sterilization and NovaSure® Endometrial Ablation with Histopathology Correlation"
- Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2010 - 4:20 PM (Open Communications 6 - Hysteroscopy): "Comparison of Physician Rated Performance Characteristics and Ease-of-Use for a New RF Catheter Design"
- Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2010 - 4:38 PM (Open Communications 6 - Hysteroscopy): "Successful In Vitro Fertilization and Pregnancy Outcome in Women Who Have Undergone Adiana® Permanent Contraception"
- Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2010 - 4:44 PM (Open Communications 6 - Hysteroscopy): "Success rate of a Novel Hysteroscopic Sterilization Technique"
- Thursday, Nov. 11, 2010 - 12:23 PM (Open Communications 13 - Hysteroscopy): "Evaluation of the Adiana® Matrix during Concomitant NovaSure® Endometrial Ablation"
- Friday, Nov. 12, 2010 - 8:30 AM (Open Communications 21 - Hysteroscopy): "Unilateral Placement of Adiana Following Failed Bilateral Placement of Essure for Hysteroscopic Sterilization"
- Friday, Nov. 12, 2010 - 9:00 AM (Open Communications 25 - Hysteroscopy II): "Concomitant NovaSure Endometrial Ablation and Essure Tubal Sterilization - Review of 100 Cases"
- Friday, Nov. 12, 2010 - 9:06 AM (Open Communications 25 - Hysteroscopy II): A "Retrospective Review of Patient Outcomes Comparing NovaSure, Thermablate, Microwave Endometrial Ablation (MEA) and the Mirena Intrauterine System (IUS)"
- Friday, Nov. 12, 2010 - 9:18 AM (Open Communications 25 - Hysteroscopy II): "NovaSure as a Mechanical Endometrial Preparation Agent Compared to GnRH Analogs Prior to Roller Ball Ablation"
- Poster Presentation: "Instituting an Office-Based Surgery Program in the Gynecologist's Office"
- Poster Presentation: "Quality of Life Survey, Success Rate, and Descriptive Analysis after NovaSure - Endometrial Ablation in a Community Setting"
- Poster Presentation: "Clinical Experience with Next Generation NovaSure® for Endometrial Ablation: A Prospective Study"
About the Adiana Permanent Contraception System
Hologic's Adiana permanent contraception system is a minimally invasive procedure which requires no incisions and can be performed in the comfort of the doctor's office using local anesthesia. The Adiana system is designed to provide women a minimally-invasive alternative to traditional, surgical means of permanent contraception. With the Adiana procedure, patients are normally able to return to work or resume their daily activities within one day. In contrast, traditional methods of permanent contraception, such as tubal ligation, require more invasive surgical procedures, usually are conducted in a hospital under general anesthesia and typically require four to five days of recovery. Hologic's Adiana system was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in July 2009.
About the NovaSure Endometrial Ablation System
Hologic's NovaSure endometrial ablation system is a simple, one-time, five-minute procedure for heavy menstrual bleeding, or menorrhagia. Heavy menstrual bleeding affects one in five women and often begins when women reach ages in their 30s and 40s. Since 2001, more than one million women have been treated with NovaSure to reduce or eliminate menstrual bleeding, without hormones or an invasive hysterectomy.
About THS Tower-free Hysteroscopy System
Hologic's THS tower-free hysteroscopy system was specifically designed for the gynecologist's office. With a simple design and small footprint, the video system fits in even the smallest exam room. The new wireless LED light source eliminates the hassle of cord maintenance during hysteroscopic procedures and provides illumination of the uterine cavity. This hysteroscopy system truly is a platform for a Total Office Solution enabling a variety of hysteroscopic procedures.
About Hologic, Inc.
Hologic, Inc. is a leading developer, manufacturer and supplier of premium diagnostics products, medical imaging systems and surgical products dedicated to serving the healthcare needs of women. Hologic's core business units are focused on breast health, diagnostics, GYN surgical, and skeletal health. Hologic provides a comprehensive suite of technologies with products for mammography and breast biopsy, breast magnetic resonance imaging, radiation treatment for early-stage breast cancer, cervical cancer screening, treatment for menorrhagia, permanent contraception, osteoporosis assessment, preterm birth risk assessment, mini C-arm for extremity imaging and molecular diagnostic products including HPV and reagents for a variety of DNA and RNA analysis applications. For more information, visit www.hologic.com.
Forward-Looking Statement Disclaimer
This News Release may contain forward-looking information that involves risks and uncertainties, including statements about the use of the Adiana permanent contraception system, the NovaSure endometrial ablation system and the THS tower-free hysteroscopy system. There can be no assurance the system will achieve the benefits described herein and that such benefits will be replicated in any particular manner with respect to an individual patient as the actual effect of the use of the Adiana permanent contraception system and the NovaSure endometrial ablation system can only be determined on a case-by-case basis depending on the particular circumstances and patient in question. Hologic expressly disclaims any obligation or undertaking to release publicly any updates or revisions to the data or statements presented herein to reflect any change in the Company's expectations or any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which any such data or statements are based. Certain factors that could adversely affect the Company's business and prospects are described in Hologic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission
Hologic, Adiana, NovaSure, THS and Total Office Solution are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Hologic, Inc., and/or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries.
Product Manager, Adiana Product Marketing